Monday, September 19, 2016

Comments on Comments

Since some of my readers have given me some feedback about the inability to leave comments on the Broadside, I thought I’d provide some clarification on that quirky characteristic of this blog. And just so no one is confused, the reason you can’t leave a comment is because I’ve chosen not to allow comments after the posts. Here are the main reasons why:

The Printer likes to control his press

The no-comments policy gives me more control of my blog. One of my apprehensions about starting a blog was that I knew I’d want to thoughtfully respond to comments I’d receive, particularly ones raising additional points or, horror of horrors, arguing contra my point of view. But I know myself well enough that I don’t have the available time or energy to put into comment-responding as I’d like to (assuming I’d get any comments that is). Getting two posts up a month was enough of a plunge.

The Printer wants thoughtful dialogue

I’ve seen enough comment wars on social media to know that comments can be written in a knee-jerk reaction to whatever has been posted (or previously commented).  Instead, I’ve chosen a medium of feedback that I trust will stimulate good, substantive thought-sharing between me and my readers: the email. The beauty of writing an email is that it takes time to compose (resulting in more reflection and less knee-jerkishness), and it’s also private (which I, for one, find a more comfortable means of discussing an important topic than engaging in a digital debate in front of the entire Web community).

The Printer prints a broadside, not an internet forum

While I might occasionally open up future posts for comment, for now, I’m keeping the broadside a broadside. But please, if you would like to share your thoughts with me (whether they be affirmative or contrary), I’d love to see your email in my inbox at believersbroadside@gmail.com  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughtful feedback is welcomed! Please be respectful and concise in your comments.